HVAC Contractors Insurance



This page will be very useful if you are:

  1. A Missouri HVAC Contractor that would like just a bit better understanding of the Insurance and Bond requirements that Municipalities, General Contractors and or Project Owners have for your Business.
  2. And for Heating and Cooling Contractors just starting your Business and want to know what you will need to protect your Business and satisfy most Municipal and Client Requirements.


A Few Videos are included if you prefer viewing over reading.


MO Heating and Cooling Contractors Insurance Website




The Coverage You Will Need

1. HVAC Contractor's General Liability:

Unfortunately all businesses are subject to lawsuits. No matter how careful you are or how well trained your employees are, accidents still happen. 
General Liability Insurance will protect your company from accidents that result in property damage, bodily injury and more.

Required Limits:

  • If you are a Commercial Missouri Heating and Cooling Contractor,  you will likely be required to have a minimum of:
    • $1,000,000 Each Occurrence Limit (the most the company will pay per claim) and
    • $2,000,000 General Aggregate, (the most the company will pay per policy term)

  • If you are not a Commercial Contractor, I would still recommend these limits, as the premium difference with lower limits is not that significant.


Premium Determination

The Premium charged by the Insurance Company will be determined by your estimated annual payroll for your HVAC Technicians during the policy term and subject to the actual (since you can only estimate your payroll at the beginning of the policy term) payroll at the end of the policy term  (see the video for more details).


HVAC Contractors General Liability Insurance Video:



Contact us today for General Liability Proposal for your Business:
Ph. 636-519-0059 or 
mail: dan@hebbeln-ins.com


2. Workers’ Compensation for  Contractors

HVAC Contractors are required to have Workers’ Compensation in Missouri with even with just one employee (Non-contracting employers are required with 5 or more employees).

Missouri HVAC Contractors that do not have coverage may be subject to a significant financial penalty from the State.  However, even more importantly, any Missouri Employer without Work Comp coverage is subject to Civil Suits brought against them by their injured employees.

It only makes sense to have HVAC Work Comp coverage to protect your employees and your business. 






Contact us today for a Work Comp Proposal for your Business:
Ph. 636-519-0059 or 
mail: dan@hebbeln-ins.com



3. Bonds for HVAC Contractors

License and Permit Bonds for Plumbing Contractors

license and permit bond guarantees that your business will operate in compliance with the building codes established by State, County, City, etc. The bond is a requirement to receive your Electrical Contracting License from a Municipality. 

For Example:

  • St. Louis County, MO requires HVAC and Mechanical Contractors to have a $10,000 License and Permit Bond
    • A good annual premium estimate is about $100
    • With decent credit, we can turn these bonds around for you very rapidly. 

HVAC License and Permit Bond Video:



Union HVAC Contracting Employers:

If you are a new Business and a Union HVAC Contractor you will likely be required, by the Union, to have a Wage and Benefits Bond (aka Wage and Welfare Bond).

This Bond is a guarantee that required wages will be paid to all employees and benefits (agreed to in the Collective Bargaining Agreement) will be paid to the Union. 

If a MO Union Employer does not compensate employees or pay agreed benefits to the Union, the Union can seek recovery from the Bond Carrier.

Wage and Welfare Bonds are considered high risk as they account for more claims relative to other types of Bonds.  Accordingly, if an Employer has poor credit, this Bond could prove challenging to obtain.


Plumbers' Wage and Benefit Bond Explained: 



Your Clients and Municipalities will want proof that your Business is Insured:

The Municipalities, where you are licensed to operate, will require you to provide proof of Insurance. 

Many Clients (especially Commercial Clients) will also require you to provide proof of  Insurance before you are allowed to start a project (and maybe again before they will pay you for your work). 

To do this, you will simply call or email us and let us know who requires proof of Insurance and we will send your Certificate of Insurance to your client and copy you.

The following video illustrates a sample Certificate of Insurance (COI) and what your client will be looking for on the COI.



Whether you are just staring your business or have been operating for years, contact our Office for an Insurance Proposal for your Business.

Ph. 636-519-0059 or 
mail: dan@hebbeln-ins.com


Additional Coverage Considerations:

The following page provides details on other Lines of Coverage you may want to consider for your Business or potentially may be required to have contractually to start a project

Additional Coverage for HVAC Contractors