Many generous individuals volunteer their time for their Condo or Homeowners’ Association without realizing the financial exposure.
I recently learned of a Condo Association that did not have Directors and Officers (D&O) Insurance. This was a very, very concerning situation. The Board Members are appointed to make decisions and take actions on behalf of the Association. Accordingly, they are the ones that are held personally responsible for their decisions and actions, meaning the proverbial “barrel” would be pointed at the Board Member, not the Association. Without D&O coverage, their Personal assets are at risk!
Possible Claims (actual or alleged):
- Improper management resulting in losses
- Breach of Fiduciary Responsibility in the management or mismanagement of Association Funds
- Allegation of improper election
- Failure to maintain property in common areas
- Nuisance Claims: defense costs can add up quickly even for nuisance claims
Individuals that willingly give their energy and time for their Association should be protected from legal action - Directors and Officers Insurance is the answer.
Not all D&O policies provide the same level of protection and your Homeowner’s policy provides no protection. Feel free to call or email for additional information.
Posted by: Dan Hebbeln firstname.lastname@example.org